Employee Discipline is a tool that managers rely on to communicate to employees that they need to change a behavior ( Habitual lateness, ignoring safety procedures, neglecting details required for the job, rudeness to customers, unprofessional conduct etc.
Discipline means a prescribed conduct or pattern of behavior. Employee Discipline at workplace can be defined as adherence to the company policies, rules, regulations and processes laid down by the management.
According to Jim Rohn, “Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment”
With discipline comes self-restraint and responsibility.
Employee discipline enables a positive and healthy work environment and ensures smooth functioning of the organization. It is one of the primary responsibilities of HR to evolve relevant disciplinary policies and ensure their adherence.
Why is employee discipline so important in the workplace?
- Employee discipline and corrective action enforce workplace guidelines contained in employee handbooks, standard operating procedures and employment agreements.
- It helps identify toxic behavior in the workplace.
- It help employers identify misalignment between employees’ workplace actions and the organization's philosophy and mission.
- It helps eliminate Nonproductive Workers
- It helps employees improve their performance
- It helps justify employment actions
In this disciplinary management in the workplace course, you will acquaint yourself with the skills required in managing discipline in the workplace.